Spring Is Coming Here in Maryland – Nip Allergies in the Bud with These Three Strategies
Believe it or not, spring is only a few weeks away…and if you’re one of millions of people who have seasonal allergies, that means that sneezing, congestion, and a whole host of other unpleasant allergy symptoms aren’t far behind.
Here are three simple strategies to keep your allergy suffering under control this spring.
1. Minimize exposure to allergy triggers
- Minimize your time outdoors on dry, windy days.
- Delegate gardening chores that stir up allergens.
- Remove and clean clothing that you’ve worn outdoors.
- After spending time outside, shower to rinse pollen from your skin and hair.
- Don’t hang laundry to dry outside — pollen can stick to sheets and towels.
2. Take precautions when pollen counts are high
- If high pollen counts are forecast, take allergy medications before your symptoms start.
- Close doors and windows at night, or when pollen counts are high.
- Minimize outdoor activity in the early morning when pollen counts are highest.
3. Keep indoor air clean
- Use air conditioning in your house and car.
- Get regular maintenance for your HVAC equipment, which will include a filter change. Check your filter about every 30 days or so during the spring and summer.
- Clean floors often with a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filter.
- If you have one, use a dehumidifier to keep indoor air dry (if you don’t, consider installing one).
- Consider adding a whole house indoor air quality system such as an air cleaner or UV light – more on these great units in future blogs.
Keep your allergy suffering at bay this spring with an indoor air quality solution from Carroll Home Services! Contact us today for a FREE estimate!